July 28, 2016. At least 100+ birds. Very hard to count in the dim light with them circling.
- Saw the first pair of swifts arrive in the area at 9:01.
- 20+ at 9:05
- 30+ at 9:10
- By 9:12 they were starting to stay near the chimney
- 50+ at 9:12
- First bird into the chimney at 9:13-just a single (probably wants to get the perfect perch)
- By 9:19 lots of birds making fakes toward the chimney but veering off rather than going in.
- At 9:21 a few more went in.
- At 9:23 came the big dump-all the birds went in-or almost all.
- 9:24 three birds in.
- 9:25 one bird in and I could not hear or see any more.
- Waited a few minutes and saw no more.
Instead of one big dump with a few stragglers, there was a big flock into the chimney and then about 1/4 of them came in over the next 5 minutes.
Arrived at 9:10-birds were flying in circles over and around the chimney.
- 9:14- the bulk of the swifts dived into the chimney at least 100 birds
- 9:15- a dozen more entered
- 9:16- ten more
- 9:17- three more
- 9:18- seven more
- 9:19- three more
- 9:20- one entered
- 9:21- one entered
Staked out the school at 5:00 AM. Had a long wait.Had been there at 6:00 AM July 29th and saw no birds so I moved it up an hour.
- 6:40- 8 birds left the chimney
- 6:42- 44 left
- 6:43- 43 left
- 6:44- 40 left
- 6:45- 5 left TOTAL= 140
Left two or tree at a time. Easy to count, unlike their arrival in one massive dump. I may have missed a few because they come out of the chimney, drop over the lip and glide away. A few might have sneaked by on the back side of the chimney.